What’s New on Netflix & Top 10s: January 14th, 2022
Archive 81 is now streaming – Picture: Netflix
Happy Friday and we’re almost into the weekend which means your usual Friday batch of new Netflix Originals. Here’s everything new on Netflix for January 14th, 2022 and what’s currently trending in the movie and TV charts.
This weekend, the major new release coming to Netflix is the 2017 Paul Thomas Anderson movie Phantom Thread. That arrives on Sunday. As we mentioned in our roundup of what’s new yesterday, this is your last couple of days to watch the Twilight saga as it leaves on Sunday.
Let’s now dive into what’s new on Netflix today:Best New Movies & Shows on Netflix for January 14th, 2022 Archive 81 (Season 1)
Genre: Drama, Horror, MysteryCast: Mamoudou Athie, Dina Shihabi, Matt McGorry, Evan Jonigkeit, Martin Donovan, Julia ChanRuntime: 59 mins
Netflix’s first major TV release of 2022 finally hits today! Led by Mamoudou Athie, the series follows Dan Turner who is a video archivist tasked with restoring a collection of tapes. These tapes end up sending him down a rabbit hole.
While critics weren’t particularly keen on the series, audience scores so far have been positive.
The series is based on a popular podcast series.
Genre: Animation, FantasyDirector: Eamonn Butler, Dave RosenbaumCast: Pierce Brosnan, Brendan Gleeson, Lilly SinghWriter: Dave Rosenbaum, Tyler WerrinRuntime: 90 min
One of the two animation recommendations we have today is Riverdance. This one is definitely one for the kids (unlike our next entry which should definitely be avoided by kids!).
First released in the UK in late 2021, the movie now arrives exclusively on Netflix. The movie follows an Irish boy and a Spanish girl who travel to a mythical world to learn about the joys and magic of Riverdance.
Genre: Animation, ComedyDirector: Emma De Swaef, Marc James Roels, Niki Lindroth von Bahr, Paloma BaezaCast: Mia Goth, Jarvis Cocker, Susan Wokoma, Helena Bonham Carter, Matthew Goode, Claudie BlakleyRuntime: 97 mins
Originally thought to be released on Netflix as a limited series, the three stop-motion stories have now dropped onto Netflix as a movie.
The impressive new movie sees multiple directors flex their skills in the largely forgotten art form and while it won’t be to everyone’s taste, there’s plenty to admire here.
Here’s what you can expect from the movie storywise:
“Across different eras, a poor family, an anxious developer and a fed-up landlady become tied to the same mysterious house in this animated dark comedy.”
- Riverdance: The Animated Adventure (2021) Netflix Original – TV-G – English – After a heartfelt loss, Irish-born Keegan and his Spanish-born friend Moya learn to dance through danger and despair with a magical herd of spirit deer.
- The House (2022) Netflix Original – TV-MA – English – Across different eras, a poor family, an anxious developer and a fed-up landlady become tied to the same mysterious house in this animated dark comedy.
- This Is Not a Comedy (2021) Netflix Original – TV-MA – Spanish – A comedian finds new meaning in his life when his best friend asks him to be her sperm donor, and he meets a girl who connects with the cosmos.
- After Life (Season 3) Netflix Original – TV-MA – English – Struggling to come to terms with his wife’s death, a writer for a newspaper adopts a gruff new persona in an effort to push away those trying to help.
- Archive 81 (Season 1) Netflix Original – TV-MA – English – An archivist takes a job restoring damaged videotapes and gets pulled into the vortex of a mystery involving the missing director and a demonic cult.
- The Ultimate Braai Master (Season 1) – TV-G – English – Teams of two trek the great outdoors and barbecue their best dishes in hopes of attaining culinary glory and cash prizes in this cooking competition.
- These Black Black Eyes (Season 1) Netflix Original – TV-MA – Hindi – Relentlessly pursued by a powerful politician’s daughter who will do anything to make him hers, a man slips down a dark, risky path to reclaim his life.
What are you watching on Netflix at the moment? Let us know in the comments down below.