Hot topics close


Coronavirus border restriction flouters appear in South Australian courts, as prosecutor urges jail terms be served

Several people appear in South Australian courts charged with separate breaches of the state's coronavirus border restriction laws, as a police prosecutor urges prison terms be imposed upon future rule breakers.

Several people who flouted South Australia's coronavirus border restrictions over the past week have today appeared in court, as a police prosecutor urges prison terms be imposed upon those who break the rules.

Key points:
  • Several people appeared in South Australian courts today, charged with breaching COVID-19 laws
  • The Adelaide Magistrates Court heard one NSW pair entered the state to collect a dog
  • A man accused of hiding a stowaway in his truck as he crossed into the state had his case adjourned

Four people appeared in the Adelaide Magistrates Court this afternoon charged with breaching COVID-19 laws in three separate incidents over four days.

New South Wales couple Jade Seymour, 20, and Mohammad Hassaini, 25, escaped jail after admitting to breaching laws.

They were refused entry into the state at Pinnaroo on July 30, but came in via Broken Hill before being arrested in Kilburn, north of Adelaide, three days later.

The court heard the pair were collecting a dog they had adopted.

In a separate matter, 46-year-old Mount Gambier truck driver Robert Edward White appeared in court, accused of hiding a stowaway in his truck last week.

His case was adjourned until later in the week.

For the latest news on the COVID-19 pandemic read our coronavirus live blog.

Another man, Greg Arthur Vigar, was granted bail for allegedly breaching self-quarantine rules.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Stuart Rees urged the court to impose jail terms in a bid to send a "strong message" to people interstate who may decide to try and breach South Australia's borders.

Adelaide Magistrates CourtAdelaide Magistrates Court
Four people appeared in the Adelaide Magistrates Court today.(ABC News)

"The rules are out there for the safety of all concerned," he said.

"Clearly, people are quite nervous every time one of these incidents occurs, and they are on the increase.

"We're only going to get more of these as time progresses."

Mother convicted after breaking isolation direction

A Victorian woman was this afternoon convicted of two counts of failing to comply with police directions to self-isolate at Kingston, in the state's south-east, after travelling into SA last week.

The 26-year-old, whose name is suppressed, pleaded guilty in the Mount Gambier Magistrates Court to twice failing to comply with directions last Friday at Kingston.

Police prosecution told the court last Tuesday the woman went through a border checkpoint after being granted permission to enter SA.

Police arrested her on Friday after receiving information she was not isolating at the nominated address in Kingston.

Read more about coronavirus:

Magistrate Maria Panagiotidis found the woman had come to SA to commence proceedings with child protection authorities to allow her to have contact with one of her children.

Magistrate Panagiotidis found the person whose house the woman had nominated as a place to self-isolate did not want her staying there.

The woman made a trip to the local newsagency and a hotel in Kingston.

Her defence lawyer submitted those trips were to withdraw money from an ATM and to inquire about a room to rent for the fortnight.

A conviction was recorded on both counts, and the woman received a suspended sentence upon entering a good behaviour bond for nine months, with a condition that she isolates for 11 days from today.

A police car on a road with two police officers standing in front of itA police car on a road with two police officers standing in front of it
SA Police officers monitoring traffic at a checkpoint near Mt Gambier.(ABC News: Isadora Bogle)
Police arrest man following eight alleged breaches

SA Police today said that a 31-year-old Wingfield man has been arrested for failing to comply with COVID-19 directions after entering South Australia from Victoria.

Police will allege around 6:50pm on Sunday, August 2, a man attempted to enter South Australia at the Pinaroo border checkpoint but was refused entry due to not meeting essential traveller status.

He reattended the checkpoint around 30 minutes later but was again turned away.

Police officers later discovered the man did not return to Victoria as per directed, but filled up with fuel at a nearby service station before travelling into metropolitan Adelaide.

The man was arrested at a Wingfield address around 9:00am this morning following police investigations.

Police will further allege that since the start of April, the man has breached directions of the Emergency Management Act on seven other occasions.

The man was charged with eight counts of breaching directions.

He was refused police bail and will appear in the Adelaide Magistrates Court tomorrow.

What you need to know about coronavirus:
Similar shots
This week's most popular shots