Cristiano Ronaldo, Dustin Johnson the latest top sports stars to test positive for coronavirus
Two of the world's highest-profile sportsmen, Cristiano Ronaldo and Dustin Johnson, have tested positive to coronavirus.
Portugal's Football Federation confirmed in a statement on its website that the superstar of the world game, Ronaldo, had tested positive for COVID-19.Key points:
- Cristiano Ronaldo's Juventus team had been in isolation after club staff tested positive on October 4
- Ronaldo tested positive for COVID-19 less than 24 hours after dining with other members of the Portuguese national team
- World number one golfer Dustin Johnson has withdrawn from this week's PGA Tour event in Las Vegas after testing positive
The 35-year-old Juventus striker is "well, has no symptoms and is in isolation", the Federation said.
Ronaldo was dropped from Portugal's Nations League match against Sweden on Wednesday as a result.
The Federation said the rest of the Portugal squad had undergone tests as a result of Ronaldo's positive result, but that they had all tested negative and would be available for the Sweden match.
Two other Portugal players — Jose Fonte and Anthony Lopes — had tested positive for COVID-19 recently.LIVE UPDATES: Read our blog for the latest news on the COVID-19 pandemic.
Portugal coach Fernando Santos said last week that positive results among players were "happening everywhere in the world."
"We are the most tested people and we have the guarantee that everyone who will be traveling to France with us are negative," Santos said.
Less than 24 hours ago, Ronaldo shared an image on his Twitter and Instagram accounts showing himself and his teammates enjoying a meal together.
Along with the tweet, Ronaldo wrote, in Portuguese: "United on and off the field!"
It was not immediately clear when the photograph was taken, which showed none of the players wearing masks.
Five-time world player of the year Ronaldo appeared in his side's 0-0 draw away to France in the Nations League on Sunday and last Wednesday's 0-0 draw in a friendly at home to Spain.
He will now be doubtful for Juventus's Serie A trip to Crotone on Saturday and their Champions League group stage opening game away to Dynamo Kiev next Tuesday.
And depending on his condition and the results of future tests, he could also miss the much-anticipated Champions League match against Barcelona on October 28.Juventus had been in quarantine
While Portugal's national team has not been beset by coronavirus cases, Italian club football in the last year has been hit hard.
Breaking down the latest news and research to understand how the world is living through an epidemic, this is the ABC's Coronacast podcast.Read more
In the last fortnight alone Genoa were unable to fulfill the requirement to have 13 players including a goalkeeper available to take on Napoli after 20 Genoa players and staff tested positive.
Napoli then failed to show for a match against Juventus after being told not to travel by their local health authority due to two positive COVID tests.
The previous Serie A season was put on hiatus for months and Ronaldo's Juventus side has seen a number of players test positive in the past.
The whole squad was again put into isolation on October 4 when two club staff members tested positive to COVID-19.
As a result there has been some controversy that Ronaldo and six other players were allowed to leave the isolated group and join their national teams.Johnson out of PGA tour event after positive test
Men's world number one golfer, Johnson, was forced to withdraw from this week's PGA Tour event at the Shadow Creek club in Las Vegas.
The PGA Tour put out a statement confirming Johnson would not be in the field when play begins on Thursday.
"Experiencing symptoms, Johnson notified PGA Tour officials and was administered a test, with the positive result forcing his withdrawal from the event," the statement read.
"Johnson, who last competed at the US Open, will have the PGA Tour's full support throughout his self-isolation period under CDC guidelines."
Johnson, the 2020 PGA Tour player of the year, missed out on his second major when he was joint-second behind winner Collin Morikawa at this year's PGA Championship in August.
"Obviously, I am very disappointed," Johnson was quoted in the statement.
"I was really looking forward to competing this week, but will do everything I can to return as quickly as possible.
"I have already had a few calls with the Tour's medical team and appreciate all the support and guidance they have given me."
Ronaldo and Johnson are just the latest sports stars to return positive COVID-19 tests.
Recently, a number of NFL players in the United States tested positive, including star New England Patriots quarterback Cam Newton.
And the tennis world was rocked earlier this year when a number of men's players, including world number one Novak Djokovic, tested positive.
Djokovic, who has in the past expressed anti-vaccination views, hosted an exhibition tournament where coronavirus spread, and was later spotted partying along with other players including Grigor Dimitrov, who also tested positive for the virus.What you need to know about coronavirus: