Big Bash League 2020: Melbourne Stars beat Sydney Thunder – as it happened
- 8.48am GMT08:48 Summary
- 8.39am GMT08:39 Melbourne Stars win by 22 runs
- 8.37am GMT08:37 WICKET! Holt c Hatcher b Zampa 1 (Thunder 145-9)
- 8.34am GMT08:34 WICKET! McAndrew c Dunk b Zampa 6 (Thunder 145-8)
- 8.32am GMT08:32 WICKET! Green c sub (O'Connell) b Cartwright 5 (Thunder 137-7)
- 8.28am GMT08:28 WICKET! Ross c Hinchliffe b Cartwright 18 (Thunder 135-6)
- 8.22am GMT08:22 WICKET! Sams c Stoinis b Hatcher 0 (Thunder 120-5)
That’s two wins, and eight competition points, already for Melbourne Stars and the Big Bash League season is only three matches old.
Batting first, the Stars looked on course for a very big score on the platform laid by Marcus Stoinis (61 off 37 balls) and Glenn Maxwell (39 off 29 balls), but a collapse of sorts in the second part of their dig restricted the tally to 169-8.
It was a total the Thunder would’ve fancied and one they might have reeled in if not for the wizardry of Adam Zampa, whose return of 2-10 from four overs was the difference between the teams. The leggie was pivotal in keeping Alex Hales (46 off 41 balls) on a leash when he was threatening to rack up a big score quickly. Callum Ferguson (54 off 35 balls) did his bit to keep the Thunder in with a sniff, but when he departed in the 15th over his side went on to lose seven wickets for 30 runs and with it any hope of victory.
Thanks for your company tonight. Let’s do it again soon.
Updated at 10.19am GMT
8.39am GMT08:39Melbourne Stars win by 22 runs
Outstanding final over from Zampa, who finishes with 2-10 from his four overs and was the standout performer in a good win for the Stars.